Byron Shire Echo Newspaper
In The News: Jed Hart, author of The Jake Hunt Series.
If you loved Without Warning, the 1st in the series, Jed’s 2nd book – Block 33 – will blow your socks off: Cartels, deranged drug lords, bloodthirsty criminals, and one man (Jake Hunt) who is willing to sacrifice EVERYTHING to stand his ground. What else could you ask for? Oh yes, ROMANCE. There’s plenty of that too.
“Last Tuesday Dotty, Bruce and I made a visit to Central West Library in Orange NSW for a special storytime with the kids.
I’d like to thank librarian Bek Salmon for being such an amazing host and making the event possible.
Dotty and Bruce certainly enjoyed the attention as much as the children enjoyed having some furry friends visit the library.” Tori Jeffress.
10 Tips to Reduce Anxiety
Newsletter by Dr Toula Gordillo, Shadows of Sylvaheim Author
Hello and welcome to this month’s Mythic Moments newsletter. Most of the clients I see experience anxiety in some way. Some only for a short time and some for weeks, months and often for years. So, how do we overcome it?
There are many people who claim to have the answers, but do their methods actually work? Maybe.
If you want to know if something is likely to work, then how about learning methods that people have been using for two thousand years?
Surely, if something has been repeated for generation after generation, it is because it has some merit or worth.
The ancient Greek and Roman Stoic philosophers spent their whole lives studying life. Here are ten tips they said could help with anxiety.
- Focus on the little things – take one step/day/action/insight at a time
- Practice gratitude – make the most out a situation and be grateful for the learning
- Have no opinion – remind yourself that you don’t have to have an opinion about things
- Stop caring what others think – care only about what you do / think / say / feel
- Process your emotions – don’t ignore or squash them, but face and work through them
- Don’t suffer imaginary troubles – recognise imagination is not reality and stay in the now
- Choose not to be harmed – decide you will not to be harmed by others’ actions, words etc
- Go for a walk – leave your phone and thoughts of work at home and walk daily
- Keep a journal – get in the habit of journaling every day
- Grab the right handle – one bears weight, making you stronger and one disempowers you
For more information on how to achieve these, Ryan Holiday (a renowned Stoic author) has some great ideas. Please see his YouTube video – How the Stoics Dealt with Anxiety:
Gaining Control of our Anxious Thoughts is Vital for a Good Quality of Life
So, do yourself a favour. Take a few minutes to watch Ryan’s video. You will be glad you did.
That’s it from me this month and enjoy the mythic moments in your life.
Dr Toula Gordillo